Are you Fit for business? Now, I don’t mean that you can’t run a business, you are an awesome woman, mum and super determined business owner that juggles a lot. Did you realise though, that if your health isn’t in order, then it is more than likely that one part of your business that isn’t in order either! So how does being fit impact on our business, and how in our busy lives do we make ourselves and our health & fitness a priority? I am going to share with you a few of my Health Hacks that will help you make small changes to improve your health and fitness.
Health Hacks are quick simple ways to bring about positive improvement to your life. Things that you can do easily and without much preparation.
#1 Love & Honour Yourself
‘What has this got to do with being in business’ I hear you ask? We often can get so caught up in the daily task of being mum, running our business and looking after the family, that we tend to forget to look after our own needs. By taking time out for some self-love each day, you will feel rested and will rejuvenate your mind, body and soul. You will be a happier person and will be able to focus on your business tasks with renewed vigour. Some of my favourite, self-love things to do include;
• Shutting myself away for half an hour to read a book
• Soaking in the tub at the end of the day – candles on and my favourite relaxation music playing
• Meditate – either in the morning before the day starts, or at the end of the day to relax me before sleep
• Go for a walk – 30 mins is enough to clear the head and lift your spirits.
#2 Eat Good Nutrition 80% of The Time
Eating healthy, natural foods 80 percent of the time will not only fuel your body for the demands of being mum, but will also fuel your brain for business. Eating healthy means having a balance of carbs, proteins and fats. It should taste good, and be quick and easy. Utilise the great variety on offer in your local supermarket of fresh pre-packaged salads, meat, fish, nuts and fruit to create a delicious meal that will satisfy your body’s needs.
#3 Exercise for General Wellbeing
Exercising is not only good for weight loss. Exercising is the quickest way to boost your mood, clear away any brain fog, and I often find, brings clarity for things on my mind. It can also be good for bringing great ideas, and new direction for your business. Exercise doesn’t have to include a gym session or an intense workout, there is a huge selection of alternate exercises that you can do to boost your mood.
• Yoga – either attend a local session to connect with other women, or YouTube it if you can’t get out.
• Walking – great for the mind and body. You can do it anywhere, and it only require a pair of good walking shoes.
• Pilates – great for your body and mind, increases strength, flexibility and gets your feel-good endorphins working.
#4 How Do I Fit It All In?
Time – is the number one excuses that I hear from many women in business when it comes to exercising and eating well. My question to them is, ‘Do you have time to be sick’? Forced time off due to illness is much harder to cope with than 30 minutes of exercise, 3 – 4 times a week to focus on being fit for business. So how do you fit it in? My time Hacks will help you;
• Plan it – at the beginning of the week, sit down and schedule in all your appointments, kids activities, network meetings etc. then schedule in your exercise time. Select a time you know you can stick to and make it a non-negotiable appointment with yourself.
• Be prepared – if eating on the run, or leaving your food to chance each day lets your health efforts down, pack your lunch when you’re doing the kids lunches in the morning. Set a lunch box out for yourself and save yourself time but doing it all at once. You then have a quick easy to grab lunch and snacks ready to do during the day.
• If you enjoy cooking, set aside an afternoon on the weekend and cook up a few meals that you can freeze ready for your busy week ahead. Or, if you hate to cook, take advantage of the many easy pre-prepared meals that you will find at the supermarket. There is a heap of choice that is fresh, healthy and already for you to just cook and serve.
#5 Accountability wins Every time
Do you have a business coach, or a network group that keeps you accountable for achieving the business tasks you set out to achieve each week/month? Set up this same level of accountability for your health and fitness. Select a friend or colleague whom you trust and whom will kick your arse if you don’t do what you said you would. You want to find someone who will hold you too it, not be soft and let you off the hook when you don’t feel like showing up.
Being Fit For Business will help reduce your stress, improve your sleep and increase your productivity.
Tina Horwood, Body FIT Melbourne
Tina Horwood is a mum of two, Speaker, Facilitator of change and Personal trainer @ Body FIT Melbourne. She is on a mission to help busy women create a healthy lifestyle for themselves and their family. As a self-confessed lover of weight training, Tina helps women to shift their focus from being skinny to being strong.